Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Mother's Blessing


Needless to say Mom, is not really thrilled about me going to Africa. From the day I was chosen as a team member for the upcoming January-February expedition she has tried to be enthusiastic, but she is extremely nervous about me traveling to a foreign country. Mom is also not happy about my decision to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro or to go on a photography safari. I'm not really sure if she is worried about me, or herself and not having me close by for a month. I have tried to ease her fears, by getting myself in good shape, learn the culture and a little of the language, but she is a nervous wreck about the whole idea. However, I know I will go with her blessings for a rewarding, safe trip.

Little does she know Mom, has been an amazing teacher and I admire her so much. Mom has been the rock of our family for so many years and has taught all of us right from wrong, kindness, compassionate, and to give to those less fortunate than ourselves. So without a doubt when I go to serve the women and children of Kenya, a big part of Mom will go with me. All I can say it thanks Mom for all you have done for me and your unconditional love. As a Mother, myself I have some pretty big shoes to fill. I love you, Mom!

No comments: