Saturday, February 14, 2009

Where's the Maytag?


Every woman, and I suppose and a few men, in America hate doing the laundry. However, we Americans have it made with our multi setting Maytag, washers and dryers. In Africa a Maytag washer consists of a tub of cold water and foot power, your own foot power. As far as those multiple setting you can choose from, well it just depends on your own leg power and how tired you are. Then there is the rinse and spin cycle, it also depends just how many times you want to rinse and wring and rinse and wring out your laundry. As for that matching Maytag dryer with several settings, there is none. You have to hang it on a makeshift clothes line out in the dust or "Jimmy Rig" a line from bed post to bed post in your room. Then one hopes it will dry within two days. I shared a room with six others from the team, and we always had underwear, socks, bras and "TG's" (temple garments as they call them) hanging everywhere.
Wash day and stomping on my laundry sort of reminded me of Lucy & Ethel stomping on the grapes for wine. Lucy and Ethel at least had a finished product they could enjoy. My laundry was not any cleaner after I stomped on it, but it did smell better! As for most of my clothes I left them there for someone who doesn't have clothes, as they don't mind if they aren't spotlessly clean, or neatly pressed.

No comments: