Sunday, February 14, 2010

Second Time Around

It's has been a year since I traveled to East Africa, fulfilling a dream of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and doing a humanitarian mission. I have countless fond memories of my three and half weeks in Tanzania and Kenya. However, I still have a couple things I haven't been able to bring closure to from my first trip. So the end of May I will be returning. Returning to take a photo back to "Little Lisa's" mother, and possible spend some time with the Maasai tribe. I will be going with Africa Is Life Changing again, and the organization has several exciting things planned for this expedition. Plans are underway to build a library, and dispensary on the compound at St. Catherine's School. Plus to build a chicken feed plan and barn to enable African women to support themselves through the profit of eggs and milk.

After 37 years of the nursing field, just when I thought I had pretty much seen it all and felt the emotions of those 37 years, being a humanitarian has sparked a new excitement and desire to continue to serve others. Serve others in a much different way and 10,000 miles away.

2 comments:

Kel said...

Your amazing! I can only imagine the look on Lisa's mom's face, what a gift! I love you!

Our Life said...

We are so proud of you, Mom. I'm sure Lisa's mom is going to be stunned when you show up with a picture for her. And, I'm sure it will become her life-long most prized possession--something she could never buy or earn and certainly something she will never get again. And, I'm sure the "Relief Society" gals will be glad to see you. Hopefully you pack lots of fingernail polish!