Monday, February 9, 2009

Women Being Women


One of the things I most enjoyed while at St. Catherine's school was spending time with the women from surrounding villages. Several of the women have children who go to the school, while others simply wanted to spend time with other women and walked twenty miles to do so. I was so tickled to see, women are just women no matter what language one speaks, no matter the color of their skin, nor their economical status. They all want what is best for their children and are willing to do what ever it takes to ensure they have a good education.


The women came in our make shift relief society room, it didn't matter that there were no chairs, a nice floor, or any treats to share. They sat on the dirt floor, never went to the long-drop or got a drink of water. We all laughed, giggled, shared story of our homes, and our families. It was touching for me to see women ten thousand miles from the US, so proud of their children and grandchildren.
They are talented women with so much to share with each other. Several wanted to make quilts, so I pulled out several pre-cut 12X12 blocks and offered to teach them a pattern I had done before. I was so proud of myself, and I thought it looked very nice. However, they didn't agree with me as they said, "it needs more color." They wanted each block different and colorful, and so pattern, so that is what we did.
Others in the group made bags out of plastic bags that at cut into stripes, the ladies then crochet them and sell them for a very small fee. Just as in the US, "Necessity is the motherhood of invention!" The only difference is in Africa everything is a necessity.
One of cutest little ladies in the group of Nancy, a small petite woman who also had elephantiasis She was thrilled to make a hat on the loom. Though I am sure standing on her legs was painful, sure finished an orange hat to give to her daughter, of who she was so proud of.
I was a bit amazed by the common American names all the ladies had. I don't really know what I expected their names to be, but no Mary, Margaret, Joyce, Susan and such. My ladies, however, had never heard my name and said it was very difficult to say. So they called me "Mtani" meaning familiar friend in Swahili, Elizabeth said that was my new name. I considered it an honor and when I go back in a couple years I hope I am still their familiar friend.

Very few of these women have the luxury of a sewing machine, fabric or notions nor have any of them seen a fabric store. They use rags for cloth, and they protect their needles, buttons, and crochet hooks as if they were gold!



































This is my sewing, crocheting group for the day.


This is Ester, the woman who is so determined to make sure her children get an education. She is in the AILC video. Love you.

From Mom: Well, today was a great day. I got to work with the women of several villages. We crocheted bags from plastic bags. Don't worry, they are new bags we brought. It's a pretty cool idea. The women then sell the bags so they can pay for their children's education. Elizabeth has been coming to St. Catherine's school for the past four years. She speaks very good English and has fifteen children, six of them attend St Catherine's. All the women had many questions about America and Obama, and hey were also interested about my family and my grandson. Okay, I had to boast about my Lil' Buddy. I will take photos of him tomorrow.

Today, I also tested people's eyes for reading glasses. It was fun to see people's faces light when they could see their Bibles or thread a needle.

I also spent some time in the medical clinic. There was a lady with elephantiasis and a man with a huge tumor on his face. I took some pictures so I could show the ER Docs. I miss everyone, love ya!

From Kristina: Sounds like there is so much to be done there. What a great woman you are to go and help these people! Stay safe, can't wait to hear all your stories. Love, Kris.

From Tiffany: Way to go, Mom! Look at what a wonderful impact you are having on the world!

2 comments:

Karen said...

kspotten

Karen said...

Now you are doing something I can do. Crocheting is my pace. Take lots of pictures. Miss you Love Karen