Monday, February 9, 2009

What No Cows!



















I learned in Africa cows are valued and define wealth, though most of the cows I saw in Africa wouldn't be considered to valued in the US. Most all the cows were very thin and didn't have to much life in them. There are so many cows of different breeds just wondering the streets, tied to front of a store and herded along the highways. So many people in Africa go without food and water so they can graze their cows. The cows are worshiped and rarely sacrificed (butchered) and if they are every ounce is used. From the blood that is mixed with milk and drank, to the hide that is used for a mattress. Even the tail that is used as a fly swatter.

My conversation with Elizabeth and the other women, I'm sure left an impression in their minds of my wealth or lack of it. They all acted as if they felt so sorry for me, as I had not even one cow. I however, feel so sorry for them as I have seen what they have and how they live.

2/9/09
From Mom: It's day 14, and I am doing good. A bit tired, but good. The food here has got my stomach upset a bit and I think I have lost a pound or two. YES!

My day that I called, "the visiting teachers" was fun. A group of village women who are friends sewing and laughing. I told them I have a bunch of bra-less buddies and some half ass Mormon best friends!!!!

Elizabeth, one of the women, asked me how many cows I had as cows are a sign of wealth. When I told the woman I have no cows, they were amazed. But, more amazed at the fact that we have two horses and two dogs. They all laughed at our animals. I think they think we are very poor without cows. Love to all. Lauri, Mom and Grandma.

From Kristina: Hope your stomach feels better. They probably think you are one weird lady, no cows, bra-less friends, and Mormons who have half an ass. Wow, you are strange! Nonetheless, I'm glad I'm part of your strange life! Lots of love, Kristina

From Mom: Tell Andi I'm doing good. However, the group doesn't know how to take my jokes about the Mormons. They think I'm serious. And, tell Grandma I tried to call. Love you.
From Kristina: You ought to invite them to your baptism in Teresa's pool! I think they would really understand then! LOL! Kris


No comments: